Bedfordview Country Club (or KENSINGTON POLYTECHNIC as it was known) was founded in 1925 when a meeting was held at the same Rhodes Park Tearoom as we know it today and a decision was made to form Sports Club. The club would offer Cricket, Hockey, Tennis, Baseball , Badmington, Soccer, Swimming and Table Tnnis. Bowls was added in 1933.
The club remained at Rhodes Park until 1957, when the Johannesburg council decided that Kensington Polytechnic would have to change their name to Rhodes Park Sports Club. The Die-hard club members did not approve and decided to move to the present, which had been vacated by Old Parks. The club went through some name changes, Marists-Polys, Bedfordview-Polys, until in the mid seventies it was decided to call it Bedfordview Country Club. The Club today has eight sections , namely, Athletics, Baseball, Bowls, Cricket, Hockey, Soccer(Seniors and Juniors), Tennis and Squash. All sections are very prominent in the leagues of the districts they represent. We have a membership of approximately 900 members. The club also has a very good working relationship with Virgin Active who have a flagship gym on the premises.